Re: [VHFcontesting] Updated - Rover activity and otherwise in June ARRL

To: VHF Contesting Reflector <vhfcontesting@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] Updated - Rover activity and otherwise in June ARRL VHF
From: Zack Widup <w9sz.zack@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 8 Dec 2009 11:22:50 -0600
Interesting! Kevin W9GKA did an excellent analysis of overall VHF contest
participation which he presented at the CSVHFS Conference in July. Some of
it is on the SMC website under "U/VHF Contest Info":

http://www.w9smc.com/SMC%20VHF/smc%20vhf%20page.htm

I attribute the growth in A class as due to the proliferation of HF rigs
that also have 50 MHz on them these days. It appears the Rover entries have
pretty much held steady.

I've mostly entered in the Q category. Sometimes when the weather cooperates
this category is fun (like in June and September this year). Sometimes it's
not so fun, as when thunderstorms, ice storms or blizzards hit you. I recall
years when the January contest brought ice storms and I stood outside the
car putting up antennas in it anyway. This year in January I set up my
antennas in a blizzard and somehow managed to keep them from getting blown
away. I think those weekends aren't for the faint-hearted.

73, Zack W9SZ