Re: [VHFcontesting] 222 Transverters

To: vhfcontesting@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] 222 Transverters
From: Steve Kavanagh <sjkavanagh1@yahoo.ca>
Date: Tue, 29 Sep 2009 06:02:58 -0700 (PDT)
Just to let you know...despite the issues I have had with RFI and the K2/XV222
combination, it is, for the most part, working well for me (a big improvement
over my old, much bigger, 2 watt homebrew transverter).  I doubt if those
issues would arise in most home stations where the rig and antennas are far
apart.

Other manufacturers' transverters are not immune to quirky design flaws
either...I have a DEMI 2m transverter which I sometimes use with the K2 as IF.
While it is very well shielded and doesn't have the issues that arise with the
XV222, when set for the lowest drive power (1 mW maximum is available from the
K2 transverter interface board) the transmit IF input impedance isn't remotely
close to 50 ohms.  I had to add some impedance matching components before the
K2 was able to drive it to anything near full output.  At last check the
transmit IF circuitry was the same in the DEMI 222 transverters - this was one
reason I chose to go with the XV222.

73,
Steve VE3SMA