Re: [VHFcontesting] W9GKA October QST article

To: vhfcontesting@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] W9GKA October QST article
From: Tad Danley <tdanley@suddenlink.net>
Date: Tue, 22 Sep 2009 18:24:02 -0500
I'm in full agreement with you Bill.  HF+6 rigs create potential VHF
weak signal ops and contest participants.  Also I like the idea of
allowing single band entries for June contest.  I think this is a great
way to encourage more HF ops to join us.  It would be interesting to
track how many single band 6 entrants turn up the next year on 2 and higher.

73,
Tad, K3TD

Bill W5WVO wrote:
> Here's another reason I think the CQ VHF in July has soared in popularity:
>
> It allows stations without weak-signal UHF/microwave capabilities -- most of
> us,
> after all -- to enter and be competitive! You can even enter as a single-band
> station, which is what I do (6 meters), as I don't have a competitive 2-meter
> antenna system.
>
> I would strongly recommend this same strategy for the ARRL June contest where
> sporadic-E propagation dominates. (Leave September and January as they are,
> more
> or less.) I think differentiating it in this way would raise the
> participation
> in this event even more.
>
> Bill W5WVO
>

> kevin kaufhold wrote:
>> Thanks Tad for the comment on they QST article.
>>
>> As to the strong uptick in June, I think it is related to both the HF
>> + 6 rigs and the club competition since 2003. I wrote a prior article
>> comparing June as well as CQ VHF to January. It is at NCJ, Jan / Feb
>> 2007, at 25, "Are Changes Blowing in the Wind". In that article, I
>> suggested that there was a definite linkage between the profileration
>> of HF + 6 rigs as well as the club competition and the increase in
>> June logs. I believe July CQ VHF is also benefitting from the HF + 6
>> rigs, even without a club competition.
>>
>> Kevin
>> W9GKA
>>

>> Message: 1
>> Date: Sat, 19 Sep 2009 13:37:29 -0500
>> From: Tad Danley <tdanley@suddenlink.net>
>> Subject: [VHFcontesting] October QST article by W9GKA
>> To: VHF contesting list <vhfcontesting@contesting.com>
>>
>> Kevin, congratulations on the excellent article on VHF contesting
>> trends
>> in QST! I enjoyed the historical commentary and your data analysis of
>> the log entries by contest and year. Do you think the recent uptrend
>> in
>> June contest logs is related to the availability of HF+50 MHz rigs
>> from
>> most every manufacturer?
>>
>> Thanks and 73,

Tad Danley, K3TD