[VHFcontesting] K5QE in the September VHF contest...

To: VHF Contesting <vhfcontesting@contesting.com>
Subject: [VHFcontesting] K5QE in the September VHF contest...
From: Marshall Williams <k5qe@sabinenet.com>
Date: Fri, 11 Sep 2009 11:04:19 -0500
Hello to all our friends in the VHF / WSJT world from the K5QE contest
team....

K5QE will be operating in the ARRL Sept VHF Contest and would really
appreciate any contacts that we can make via FSK441 or EME for that
"rare" grid.  The contest  begins 1800 UTC Saturday and ends 2100 UTC
Sunday (Sept 12 - 13, 2009).  For those of us still on local time, that
is 1PM Central Daylight on Saturday to 10PM CDST Sunday night.

For those stations that are outside our normal range, I invite you to
try to work us on 6M and / or 2M using digital meteor scatter or 2M EME.
We will be operating FSK441 on 6M beginning at 0230Z Sunday
morning(=9:30PM Central Saturday night) on a frequency of 50.267MHz and
we will take First sequence. Occasionally, we will call CQ on 50.260
UP7--but we intend to work on 50.267MHz First sequence.  If we happen to
find a station calling CQ, we will answer them on their given frequency,
but most of the time we will be on 50.267.  This is a good opportunity
for smaller stations to get a DX contact on 6M, because the chances of
an Es opening late at night are not very good.  Please give us a try on
6M meteor scatter.  We run 1KW output on 6M meteor scatter with fairly
large antennas.  Please remember that the contest requires the exchange
of grids not 26 or 27.

On 2M, we will start at 0230Z Sunday  morning(=9:30PM Central Saturday
night) with FSK441 meteor scatter on a frequency of 144.142MHz and we
will take First sequence.  Again, if we find someone calling CQ
elsewhere, we will work that station on their frequency.  We may call CQ
UP2 on 144.140MHz, but we will be working stations on 144.142MHz if at
all possible.  Again, this is a good chance for smaller stations to get
some good 2M DX and a "rare" grid during the contest.  We get one
too...a WIN-WIN situation!!  We run a stacked pair of 17el M2's at 160ft
and 1KW output on 2M FSK.

The moon rises here at 1:10AM Central on Sunday(=0610Z Sunday).  At that
time, we will start EME operations using JT65b on a frequency of
144.142MHz and we will take SECOND sequence.  If we hear a CW caller, we
will immediately switch to CW.  If you are EME capable, please try to
work us off the moon.  Remember that stations with a single long yagi
and QRO may be able to work us on their rising moon. For stations way
East of us, this may not work as the moon may be too high before it
rises here.  However, for everyone else, there is a good chance that we
can work.  Stations in the Central US and out West get the increased
gain from their rising moon, so give us a try.  In Jan, we easily worked
two stations in CN87 that just had a single yagi pointed at the horizon,
so it can be done.  We run 8 x 2M18XXX with the custom EME elements and
1250W output(1500W output if it is a rare one.....HI). Pictures of the
EME antenna are on my web site.  It is a really FB antenna and we would
love to work you in the contest.......all new multipliers gratefully
apprecitated.

If / when we work all the EME stations that we can find, we will return
to 2M FSK441 operation, probably about 6AM Central(=1100Z) until 7AM
Central(1200Z). Those times should be good for meteor scatter as meteor
scatter is usually best in the early morning hours.

We will cease digital operation at 7AM CDST(=1200Z) on Sunday morning
and revert to normal tropo type operations.  If things get REALLY slow
on 2M, we may do some more FSK441 digital meteor scatter Sunday
afternoon from about 3PM to 6PM Central, but no promises right now.  If
6M is dead, we will fire up on FSK441 in the afternoon.

Because we are a Multi-Multi station, we will be watching the PingJockey
logger whenever we are running meteor scatter.  When we are on 2M EME,
we will be watching the N0UK EME logger.  If you see us or work us,
please spot us on PingJockey or the N0UK EME reflector.  If you are not
in the contest, you can post freely to the loggers.  So, you can talk to
us, we just can't talk back.

Thank you in advance for spending some time to work us in the contest.

73 Marshall K5QE, EM31cj
www.k5qe.com

East Texas