Re: [VHFcontesting] Propagation gurus wanted

To: <vhfcontesting@contesting.com>, <w3zz@arrl.org>
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] Propagation gurus wanted
From: jon jones <n0jk@hotmail.com>
Date: Wed, 2 Sep 2009 17:29:12 +0000
Is the band WA0KBZ referring to 2 Meters?

I was active on 2 Meters during the tropo opening from EM18 KS and heard
St. Louis area stations and stations further east at the same time on tropo. I
even
recorded both sides of a 2M QSO Aug 26 W0HBH EM48 had with KA2LIM FN12. Both
were strong.

Stations in Oklahoma were working the tropo as well. Tropo is usually
continuous
 - ie. a station within the duct can often hear all other stations located in
the duct.

Ducts are sometimes not continuous. Particularly on the western side of the
August 20099 duct -

portions of it moved in and out. Pehaps the Oklamoma stations coupled into a
bulge of the duct

running south of St. Louis. The great circle path from, for example, K5SW EM25
to EN91, runs south

of St. Louis.

If K5SW was working a station in EN91, his signal may have traveled to Ohio,
then back to St. Louis.
But the direct path from EM25 to EM48 may not have been enhanced at the same
time.

This is just speculation - I have personally not heard this form of
"tropo-backscatter." But
iono-backscatter is frequently heard on 6 Meters, and at times even on 2
Meters, as others
have noted. Thunderstorm backscatter is noted on the microwaves.

 - Jon N0JK