Re: [VHFcontesting] FT897D vs Icom 706mKIIG on VHF/UHF

To: John Geiger <aa5jg@yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] FT897D vs Icom 706mKIIG on VHF/UHF
From: "Mike (KA5CVH) Urich" <ka5cvh@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 14 Aug 2009 16:49:50 -0500
On Thu, Aug 13, 2009 at 2:47 PM, John Geiger<aa5jg@yahoo.com> wrote:

Has anyone on the list had the chance to compare a Yaesu FT897 to the
Icom 706MKIIG for VHF/UHF performance?  I am especially interested in
70cm performance as I am currently using an Icom 706MKIIG with pretty
good results, but have been thinking about "upgrading" to a Yaesu
FT897D or maybe a FT857D.  I have used some Yaesu rigs on the sats
before and the 706MKIIG seems to hear them better, especially AO27.

Mike wrote

Whoo whoo, brand war time.  <grin>

People whom I highly respect seem to believe that the ICOM is a much
better HF, especially CW, rig than the FT-100, FT-857 & FT897.  These
same people believe that these three Yaesu rigs are the better V/UHF
rig.

BTW - ICOM = I Can Only Monitor, and my IC-W32A won't even do that
anymore.  <grin>

--
Mike Urich,
Mob name "heavy mike"