[VHFcontesting] N8RA August UHF contest

To: <vhfcontesting@contesting.com>
Subject: [VHFcontesting] N8RA August UHF contest
From: "Chet, N8RA" <chetsubaccount@snet.net>
Date: Mon, 3 Aug 2009 07:53:37 -0400
VHF/UHF contesting is getting addictive. The only band I have for a UHF
contest is 70 cm but I was anxious to get on to test out the repairs since
June and the (hoped for) improvements to the station. But, my MYL had top
priority for her plans since she had so graciously given me the ARRL June
and CQ July weekends for contesting and it looked like we'd be away the
whole time. As it turned out, Sunday's approaching thunderstorms kept us at
home, and I was able to get on for a few hours in the morning.

        Band  Mode  QSOs    Grd
         420  CW       12           4
         420  USB      13           8

       Total  Both     25         12

Last year I did not get out of my own grid. What a difference a year makes.
-FT-897 deafness on 70cm was improved by the addition of a low noise preamp
-TX power was increased from the 20W exciter level to 100W.
- the homebrew 6 element yagi was changed to a commercial 11 element one
-and that yagi was put on a tower that got it above tree level, although the
feedline is much longer

I felt like the station really worked well and nothing broke. Thanks for the
Q's

73
Chet, N8RA, FN31