Re: [VHFcontesting] [VHF] Rovers-Halo's Vs. Loops

To: <kr1st@amsat.org>, "Jacob Tennant" <k8jwt@comcast.net>, "VHF List" <vhf@w6yx.stanford.edu>, <vhfcontesting@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] [VHF] Rovers-Halo's Vs. Loops
From: "Les Rayburn" <les@highnoonfilm.com>
Date: Thu, 2 Jul 2009 11:18:12 -0500
I'm glad to hear that I'm not the only one who has found that a 1/4 vertical
compares very well to a loop, even with "ground wave" contacts. During the
June contest, I took both a 6 Meter loop and a 1/4 wave magnetic mount
vertical. The loop was mounted about nine feet above the truck.

Using a antenna selector switch, I often switched between the two and found
the vertical was usually better on E-skip and often as good, or nearly so as
the horizontal loop on local contacts out to about 120 miles. Considering
the often reported 20db loss that is possible due to cross polarization, I
was really surprised by the results.

To be fair, nearly everyone has said that a loop must be mounted at least 20
feet high to really perform. While that would be possible in my rover
situation, it would complicate things considerably. It might be an option
worth looking at for the January and September contests where e-skip is
rare, and local contacts become much more important. But for "Summer roves"
it would be hard for me to justify the trouble of working with the loop vs.
the simplicity of a magnetic mount 1/4 whip.

Your mileage may vary, but I was certainly impressed with the whips
performance. Local contacts out to about 200 miles were made during the June
event, and we I can't think of a single instance where we could not have
completed on either antenna. On e-skip there were often times were signals
were better on the vertical, but none where the loop won out.

This is all due to radiation angles, and would almost certainly change if
the loop was mounted higher. I see this often on my home stations, where at
times my 3 element attic mounted indoor Yagi will "outperform" my nearby
neighbors 5 element Yagi mounted on a 70 foot tower. I have to point out
that he often works DX that I can't even hear...it's just that a few times
during each e-skip season we'll both be in a pileup and my radiation angle
happens to favor that particular station.

I'm sure this is why a lot of serious Six Meter guys have antennas mounted
at various heights and a means to select them to favor a given opening. I
thought that my "Loop & Whip" selector might give me that edge for a rover
too...but the results didn't justify the effort.

On the other hand, I ran a set of stacked 2 Meter KU4AB 2 Meter loops during
the event so that I could work both "run and gun" and "point and shoot". I
was thrilled and surprised with the performance of the stacked loops on 2
Meters!

The July event is coming up fast, and I plan to run stacked loops for 2M,
and a 1/4 whip for 6. I'll also be using a rack mounted 2 Meter 10 element
Yagi, but nothing else on Six. We'll see how it turns out.

73,

Les Rayburn, N1LF
EM63nf
121 Mayfair Park