[VHFcontesting] Roving for Grids

To: Les Rayburn <les@highnoonfilm.com>, VHF Contesting Reflector <vhfcontesting@contesting.com>
Subject: [VHFcontesting] Roving for Grids
From: James Duffey <JamesDuffey@comcast.net>
Date: Tue, 12 May 2009 19:52:03 -0600
OK Les, you can have a lot of fun chasing grids in a contest, even if
you aren't a serious contester.

You have already been educated here on the various nuances of what you
are trying to do. I won't repeat that. But consider this, over on our
sister reflector, CQ-Contest, I recently posed the question, "If one
participates in a contest, but does not submit a log, is one obliged
to follow the rules?" Surprisingly, at least to me, the overwhelming
answer was no, if you don't enter a log you don't need to follow the
rules. Or if you don't, there is no way to penalize you. I am not sure
that I agree with this, but without an entry there is no way to
penalize you for not following the rules. Here is my suggestion, stay
within 100 km of your main QTH, sign /r, so that the people you
contact don't get dinged for dupes, operate the contest, get the new
grids you need, and don't submit a log.

This is the point where I remove my tongue from my cheek.

Do the right thing (at least by me) and submit an unlimited rover log.
Pretty much anything goes there. If you are just looking for grids,
you want to use all the power you have. Besides, I would be willing to
wager several glasses of your favorite beverage that you will be the
only unlimited rover from Georgia. It is not a popular class.

The natural thing for you to do would be to submit two or more SO
entries, one each from each grid you go to. But the VHF contest rules
forbid submitting more than one entry per operator, except that rovers
can submit a rover log and a SO log from their home QTH. While there
are a plethora of categories in the VHF/UHF contests, the rules
eliminate a lot of possible entries as well.

This never gets much traction, but I will enter into my rant anyway.
Here is one way that the VHF/UHF contest categories can be fixed, at
least in my mind.

Have EIRP categories. <10, <100, <1000, <10,000, <100,000 and >100,000

Have a single transmitted signal at a time category and a multiple
transmitted signals at a time category.

Score contests by grid square, like the exchange. Allow multiple
entries from the same op/station in different girds. Rovers would
compete with fixed and portable stations in the grid competition.

Have a rover competition at the Division level.

Allow more than one entry per station or operator.

See you in June/ Hope for Es. - Duffey

--
KK6MC
James Duffey