[VHFcontesting] strain relief loop for your vhf/uhf beams?

To: <vhfcontesting@contesting.com>
Subject: [VHFcontesting] strain relief loop for your vhf/uhf beams?
From: "Michael E Fox \(N6MEF\)" <N6MEF@mefox.org>
Date: Fri, 20 Mar 2009 15:52:35 -0700
Hi folks.

I'm assembling a stack of VHF/UHF beams (2m-23cm) and I have a question
about running the coax from the antenna connectors.  These are M2 antennas
where the connector is pointing along the boom toward the mast.  In other
words, the coax would come off the connector parallel to the boom.

Every picture I can find in Google and a couple of the drawings show the
coax coming off the antenna connector with no strain relief loop -- just
taped to the boom and then down the mast.

Of course, taping the coax to the boom supports the coax so there is no pull
on the connector.  But the engineer in me says I should place a strain
relief loop at the connector.

The beams will be horizontally polarized so the loop would be hanging
vertically below the antenna boom, at right angles to the antenna elements.

It seems like the right thing to do mechanically.  But at these higher
frequencies, perhaps it would have an impact on the SWR, the pattern, or
both.  And, it is curious that I can find no pictures of other installations
with a strain relief loop.  So I figured I'd ask.

Is there a particular reason why strain relief loops are not used on vhf/uhf
beams?

Thanks in advance.

73,

Michael - N6MEF