[VHFcontesting] FW: My Proposal to the VUAC

To: <VHFcontesting@contesting.com>
Subject: [VHFcontesting] FW: My Proposal to the VUAC
From: "W0MU Mike Fatchett" <w0mu@w0mu.com>
Date: Wed, 18 Mar 2009 09:33:41 -0600

CC Packet Cluster W0MU-1
W0MU.NET or  67.40.148.194

never get over." Ben Franklin

-----Original Message-----
From: W0MU Mike Fatchett [mailto:w0mu@w0mu.com]
Sent: Wednesday, March 18, 2009 9:22 AM
To: 'Dan Evans'
Subject: RE: [VHFcontesting] My Proposal to the VUAC

Interesting.  I never used the word cheat nor was I implying it.  I simply
said that a manufactured contact does nothing for me.  If I have to call you
on the phone or another band so that we can make a 10ghz contact should that
really count as a 10ghz contact?  Without the phone or other band I am led
to believe that the contact probably could not occur.

I have been contesting for 20 plus years.  Yes making a contact is much
easier when you know what is coming.

Modest stations on HF certainly cannot sit and CQ all day and night and have
a steady stream of callers, at least not out west in DX  contests.

Yes there are generally more participants in HF contests.

I am not arguing against having a assisted class it makes sense but where do
you draw the line.

On HF in some of the Sprints especially RTTY we instituted a dupe rule that
allowed you to rework a station after a set number of contacts in between by
both participants.  That rule was just removed as more people are operating
now.  There are other options to keep people on the air.  The more people
operating the better the change that the casual operator will find other
people to work.

I just think it is not in the spirit of the contest to use non radio means
to make contacts.  Years ago it was rumored that a large contest dx station
made telephone calls to many other countries to ask them to get on and work
them for a multiplier.  Contests to me should be decided on the operators
skill, station design and of course the luck of having some good openings,
not on the guy with the biggest phone bill or chat prowess, etc.

While I understand peoples desire to help.  Help takes a person out of the
Unassisted class.  Any contacts made with help are no good in my book in a
contest.  When someone comes by and says hey grid xxxxx is down 3 puts you
in a tough position.  You may have found it on your own but now a dark cloud
looms if after some time you go down and work that station.  Only you know
if you acted on the assistance.

VHF contests are not marketed like DX contests, thus you have fewer
participants.  I also understand that if the band is dead then less serious
participants might turn off the radio and do other things.

I could be wrong but the CQ-Contest reflector is about contesting.  There is
very little discussion about VHF contesting at all.  I know many contesters
on that list that do both.  Here is the description of that list:

CQ-Contest@CONTESTING.COM is an electronic mail reflector dedicated to hams
interested in all types of amateur radio contesting. This is a good place
for contest-related announcements, discussions and rumors.

I am for more contacts but not at any cost or by any means.  These are radio
contests not internet or telephone contests.

CC Packet Cluster W0MU-1
W0MU.NET or  67.40.148.194

never get over." Ben Franklin

CC Packet Cluster W0MU-1