Re: [VHFcontesting] distance scoring

To: vhfcontesting@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] distance scoring
From: k3dne@comcast.net
Date: Wed, 11 Feb 2009 04:52:11 +0000 (UTC)
Many of you who have been subscribed to these reflectors for some time know
that every year or two distance scoring creates quite a bit of email excitement
and robust controversy. This year appears to be no different.
I have embraced the concept on-line a couple of times in the past decade and I
still would love to see at least 1 of the vhf+ contests (not June) use a
distance scoring scheme but nothing has happened in spite of all the email
traffic generated, letters/emails to ARRL and CQ, response to multiple surveys,
etc. For a historical perspective on the subject I would encourage you to
obtain a copy of the March 1999 CQ-Contest Magazine article written by W3ZZ;
"Distance Scoring: Time to Change the Rules?" and to dig into the reflector
archives on the subject for the past 10+ years. I find it amazing that almost
exactly 10 years after Gene wrote that article that we are still discussing the
concept - and even more surprising that there still isn't a vhf+ contest (other
than the 10GHz events) that uses a distance scoring scheme.
73,
Ed K3DNE