Re: [VHFcontesting] Lunch box roving

To: James Duffey <JamesDuffey@comcast.net>
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] Lunch box roving
From: Steve Clifford <k4gun.r@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 10 Feb 2009 09:09:47 -0500
Thanks James.  I hope I can make clear what my purpose is in making these
comments.  I'm still struggling to figure out how to change things. I have
written my VUAC representatives but have received no replies.  I assume they
read this reflector so in the absence of a dialogue from them, this seems to
be the best way to debate the issue.

What strikes me as most glaring is that, as Frank has pointed out, there are
two distinct types of roving.  One is a solo operation and the other is the
team effort.  To me, that looks very similar to how fixed stations are set
up.  There are single operator and multi-operator efforts.  The ARRL
established distinct and separate rules for each category.

The ARRL also attempted to establish a new category to address the group
effort concept when they created the Unlimited Rover category.  The problem
is obviously that the new rules didn't really solve anything.  It actually
exacerbated it.

As to the cure, I'm open to suggestions.  I wrote to my VUAC rep a few
months back about what I thought would help.  I'm not addicted to any single
solution and would not be opposed to a number of ideas.  Personally, I'm not
in favor of distance based scoring because I have yet to hear of a solution
that is both easy to understand and is verifiable or enforceable.  My mind
could be changed on that.

If I were given the magic wand, my solution would be to limit rover to rover
contacts to 4 for Limited and 10 for Classic rover.  I would also limit
Limited Rover to 50, 144 and 432 plus one other band of the operator's
choice.  I would not change the scoring for the upper bands.  I would not
institute distance requirements.  I might even be in favor of allowing
Unlimited to submit for club scores, but I'm not sold on that point yet.

Another idea would be more simple.  If a rover has more than 20% of his
contacts with other rovers (any rovers, not just single rovers), they are
moved into Unlimited Rover.

The group rovers are multi-operator stations.  Treating them as such should
not be viewed as punishment.  I want to encourage them to continue to group,
flourish and advance.  I also want groups like W4IY, K8GP, W3SO and others
to flourish and advance as well.  I want them all to grow the hobby.  I just
want them recognized for what they are and what they are is not the same as
single operator stations.

Steve
K4GUN/R