Re: [VHFcontesting] Lunch box roving

To: vhfcontesting@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] Lunch box roving
From: "STeve Andre'" <andres@msu.edu>
Date: Mon, 9 Feb 2009 23:34:21 -0500
On Monday 09 February 2009 22:27:52 James Duffey wrote:
> Steve - You wrote in part:
>
>   "I just think the rules need (to be) changed to address that reality."
> OK you want a rule change. That is fair. Think about what rules you
> want changed. It may not be as clear as you think.
> Do you want the grid circlers completely eliminated in the Limited and
> Classic Rover categories?
> Or do you want the rules to place limitations on grid circling so that
> their scores are more competitive with the scores of rovers who do not
> grid circle?
> Or would you like a contest where the scoring is such that grid
> circling is an ineffective strategy?
> Or would you like the limited rover category limited to only four
> specific, stated bands?
> Do you want the extra points for microwave contacts reduced or
> eliminated?
> Think about why you want a rule change. Is it because you are not
> competitive with the grid circlers? I know I am not. If the grid
> circling rovers only made a tenth the points they currently make, but
> could sill grid circle would that make their behavior more accpetable
> to you?
> Formulate a solution. Make sure it will not introduce more problems
> that it will solve. Propose that solution to your ARRL Director, your
> VUAC representative, your CAC representative, and to the Chairman of
> the PSC, Bruce Frahm, K0BJ.
> Simply complaining about a problem will not generally be as effective
> as proposing viable alternatives to those who can affect change.
> Congratulations on your first place Limited Rover finish in the
> September VHF Contest. You put up a very impressive score and one that
> is not trivial to achieve when the band is flat. - Duffey
>
> --
> KK6MC
> James Duffey
> Cedar Crest NM

I still consider myself a relative novice at VHF contesting.  Some of the
conversations here make my head spin a bit, because I don't see (or
don't understand) some of the things being talked of here, in EN82
land.

I'm coming to the conclusion that geographic realities mean various
things depending on where you are, and what works in one place can't
in others owing to the physical landscape, or population.  I'm not sure
the concept of a "level" playing field exists.  Such is life.

But I have to say I agree with James here.  Steve, I'd like to hear a
detailed explanation of your ideas on rule changes, and then you
ought to send them on.  I'm not at all sure what I think of all this
yet, but hearing well constructed arguments for things would help
me, and I suspect lots of others.

--STeve Andre'
wb8wsf  en82