Re: [VHFcontesting] 28 MHz vs. 144 MHz IF

To: <vhfcontesting@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] 28 MHz vs. 144 MHz IF
From: "Terry Price" <w8zn@comcast.net>
Date: Sat, 24 Jan 2009 08:22:37 -0500
 None of the existing designs for transverters that are produced today with
work on 10GHz with a 28MHz IF. DEM, DB6NT even W1GHZ doesn't go there, just
not enough spacing between the LO and IF for proper filtering. 903 and 1296
are fine with new helical filters but above that, the performance is going
to be hurt. None of the pipe cap style filters have narrow enough bandwidth
and if you made a filter with narrow enough skirts, the insertion loss would
probably kill your signal. My suggestion is using your 28MHz rig to drive an
old Microwave modules 2m transverter or get a 2m IF strip from DEM which is
designed to do exactly this function. Yes, you have an extra LO to make sure
is on frequency but much easier to get on the band and make contacts that
way!

If you really want to continue down this path, I would suggest you contact
Paul Wade, W1GHZ and get his opinion. http://www.w1ghz.org/

73,

Terry - W8ZN