Re: [VHFcontesting] 222 Mhz Transverter w/ 144 MHz IF?

To: "'Billy Cox'" <aa4nu@ix.netcom.com>, <vhfcontesting@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] 222 Mhz Transverter w/ 144 MHz IF?
From: "Terry Price" <w8zn@comcast.net>
Date: Sat, 24 Jan 2009 08:11:47 -0500
There is a close harmonic relationship between 222 and 144. The LO for a
transverter would have to be 78 MHz, 222 - 144 = 78. The third harmonic of
78 MHz is 234 MHz. Back when the band was 220, I tried to make a transverter
with a 2m IF but there was strong desense due to the LO. Now being at 234,
it may work since it is another 6 MHz away. Problem is, I've never seen
anyone attempt is. A DEM transverter could be modified to work in this way.
The DBM's Steve uses are very wide band and by changing the LO and filter,
and changing a couple of components in the IF, like chokes and caps, it
should work, I just don't know if the 3rd harmonic of the LO is going to
cause issues.

Terry - W8ZN