[VHFcontesting] Rovers

To: vhfcontesting@contesting.com
Subject: [VHFcontesting] Rovers
From: Joe Jarrett <joe@jarrett.com>
Date: Sun, 07 Dec 2008 23:11:50 -0600
Just a short comment regarding the current brew-haha:

I have mostly been a Rover in the VHF/Microwave contests, or more
exactly the right seat operator.  The FUN in the contest for me is two
fold.  Number 1 is  working other stations on as many bands as possible
regardless of where they are.  If they are several hundred miles away,
thats iceing on the cake.  Number 2 is traveling with other rovers.  The
pictures taken of someone holding a soldering iron as we
repair-tune-tweak etc. each others radios, coax, antennas on the
bathroom counter of a cheap motel somewhere are a treasure.  Holding the
umbrella over a co-rover pulled into a parking lot while he tries to
figure out why his noise level suddenly went to pot on 3456 is a treat.
Taking the lead trying to find a place up high we can all safely pull
into to try to work back to the closest major metropolitan area is a
real blast.  It is fun traveling with other rovers.

And yes we work each other as we travel from Grid to grid. to grid
also.  Try this rule tweak on for size:  If you work more rover contacts
than fixed stations, regardless of the number of bands you use, you must
enter as a unlimited class Rover.  Otherwise, you may enter as a 4
station limited class rover, or a "plain" multi band Rover.  The only
other solution I see is to go to some sort of distance based scoring.
The rovers I work with all use GPS to indicate and log their exact
location so the only problem we would have would be just deciphering
those 2 new digits through the noise.

Otherwise, lets just keep the rules simple.  The more complex you make
them, the more loop holes there will be.

Joe Jarrett K5FOG