Re: [VHFcontesting] A reasonable approach to the grid circlingproblem...

To: "'Marshall Williams'" <k5qe@sabinenet.com>
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] A reasonable approach to the grid circlingproblem....
From: "Chet, N8RA" <chetsubaccount@snet.net>
Date: Thu, 20 Nov 2008 20:48:18 -0500
Here's the Wikipedia definition. I do not know if the author is from Philly
or Chicago.

Grid circling

Grid circling is a highly-coordinated operation of two or more rover
stations. Two or more rover stations arrive at an area near the intersection
of four Maidenhead grid locators, and "circle" through the possible
combinations of grid locators, making contacts in each combination. The
rover stations then drive to the next intersection of grid locators on their
planned route and repeat the process. Stations participating in grid
circling do not need to be capable of communicating over distances longer
than a few miles. Even without making contact with any other stations in the
contest, grid circling stations can generate large scores just by contacting
the other stations in their small, tightly-coordinated group.

Some object to the activity because it does not contribute to the contest at
large; the stations in the grid circling effort generally do not contact
many other stations in the contest. Others object to the unfairness of these
stations competing in the same category as other rover stations that do not
grid circle, and who are at a perceived scoring disadvantage. Grid circlers
themselves often argue that the technical and operational challenges of such
an operation represent significant achievement, and the activity, if
discouraged, is not explicitly prohibited. Some suggest that grid circling
should be allowed, but such teams of station should be ranked in a separate
category from other rovers.

Chet, N8RA