Re: [VHFcontesting] Contest Humor

To: "Steve Tripp (K1IIG)" <stephen.tripp@snet.net>
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] Contest Humor
From: James French <w8iss@wideopenwest.com>
Date: Thu, 18 Sep 2008 20:37:18 -0400
Congrats on finding the one!!!

My wife, Michelle, and I got married on September 9th, 2000. I wasn't
paying attention to the date at the time as I wasn't that serious about
operating at the time. Just enjoying the different aspects of the hobby
at the time.

She knew what she was getting into before we even met as we met via the
internet curtouesy of mutual friends that I knew when they lived in
Florida and they moved back to Michigan where they knew her. I kept in
touch with those friends via the pre-WWW internet where you had to link
in via landline BBS' and they introduced us and we chatted a lot before
I decided it was time for me to get out of Florida. That was in 1996.

On our honeymoon to Bar Harbor, Maine, we stopped at a rest area in New
York just outside of Niagra Falls and saw something a little out of the
normal for me at the time. Encountered my first rover operating the
contest that weekend. And me WITHOUT an radio or anything to at least
give out a contact!!!!

We got to Bar Harbor and took on of the whale seeing sailing trips and
would you believe it?, we encountered a local Detroit ham on the same
cruise. Michelle just watched the whales as the two of chatted for a
while.

We have been HAPPILY married since with a few pitfalls where I got
discouraged with ham radio a few times and she calmed me down and told
me to just take a break each time and come back when I was ready. If
it wasn't for her, I may have given up a couple of times and not be
doing and enjoying radio as I have been lately. She knows it's what
keeps me going outside of working as much as I do and that I need a way
to relax. She has even budgeted for me each year what we call the
'Dayton Fund' out of what we make so that I can do Dayton and a few
other trips like Microwave Update.

So good luck and keep her happy. As long as you do, she will let you
play with the radios.

James W8ISS
=====