[VHFcontesting] 48 states 2 meters terrestrial

To: vhfcontesting@contesting.com
Subject: [VHFcontesting] 48 states 2 meters terrestrial
From: kevin kaufhold <kkaufhold@yahoo.com>
Date: Fri, 1 Aug 2008 11:22:40 -0700 (PDT)
I want to thank everyone who supplied information back in Feb and March on
stations who have worked all lower 48 states on 2 meters terrestrial, or who
are close.  I used the information gathered from your e-mails to make a
presentation at last week’s CS VHF Conference. That presentation generated
still more info, some of which were from contemporaries of VHF pioneers on
2-meters. More info was also generated as a result of W3ZZ’s wonderful write-up
of the subject in his July, 2008 World Above 50 MHz column. In all, 50 or more
people have provided some info.

I will shortly be adding this new material into a revised Excel file and
work-up of the topic. If anyone knows of other stations at 48 states
terrestrial, or who are close (down to 40 states), please let me know. Here are
the 11 people that I know who have worked the continental US on 2 meters “the
hard way”, via terrestrial means only:

W0SD             SD     Pre-grid; (EN13)
K5CM             OK     Pre-grid; (EM25)
W0EMS            NE     Pre-grid; (EN11)
K0ALL            ND     EN16
K5UR             AR     EM35
W0RRY / K5BXG   OK      EM26
W5ZN (as WB5IGF)        AR      EM45
WQ0P             KS     EM29
W7XU             SD     EN13
N0QJM            SD     EN13
KM0T             IA     EN13

Here are others who are known to be close (down to 45 states, but I am keeping
track of anyone at 40 + states):

K0MQS   IA      EN31    Missing ID?
K5SW    OK      EM25    Missing OR
K9HMB   IL      EN52    Missing a 7?
W9UD    IL      EN41    Missing CA
WB0DGF  NE      EN10    Missing VT
N0LL    KS      EM09    Missing ME
W0RLI   MN      EN34    CA, NV
KM0A    MO      EM48    CA, WA
N0UK    MN      EN34jv  CA, WA
N0JK    KS      EM17    ME, RI
K2DRH   IL      EN41    CA, OR, WA
W0RT    KS      EN27    OR, VT, RI
W0FY    MO      EM48    CA, OR, WA
KW0A    MO      EM48    CA, OR, DE
N9LR    IL      EN50du  CA, OR, WA
KA9CFD  IL      EN40om  CA, OR, WA

I also am looking for anyone on either coast with significant state totals
terrestrially. Anyone at 18 or more states in the West Coast or Western states;
and anyone at 30 or more states from the North-East or South-East, I want to
hear from you! If you know of anybody else that may be close to these totals on
MS, tropo, Au, or Es, or simple brute force, please let me know that, too.

On all info reports, the following would be of great help:

-       Call-sign
-       State
-       Grid
-       # of States worked terrestrially
-       Time period of activity / completion
-       Any other interesting historical tid-bits or info

Thanks for all the info received so far.

Kevin
W9GKA
EM58