Re: [VHFcontesting] joe's rover

To: <vhfcontesting@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] joe's rover
From: frank bechdoldt <k3uhf@hotmail.com>
Date: Tue, 29 Jul 2008 23:19:06 -0700
Joe, put some batteries back there. Use your trailer plug to charge them.  I
run 4 spare batteries all charged off alternator.  If your rig is very picky,
put a voltage booster on your rig. I find my ft 736 is voltage picky and thats
why I use 4 batteries.  I could use 2 batteries and boost the voltage to the
IF, you might loose 50 watts on the amplifiers at 12 volts. I get 400 watts at
14 volts.

If you are afraid of killing your battery for starting, use a battery
seperator.  If your little generator has a 12 volt output, how stable is that?
Would it be stable with 2 batteries attached?

SOmeone tell joe who makes the best voltage booster for the buck.  Its been
posted before.

as far as the 24 volt amp is concerned, hoiw much do you use it. You could put
a small 12 volt battery in line to the amp to boost the voltage and make dpdt a
switch that breaks the series connection and places the battery on standby
charging on the alternator.  IE I dont use my 300 watt 900 mhz amp much. My 4th
battery is in series with the other 3. Its 100AH and I have yet to run it down.
 I am told the amp will do 100watts on 12 volts.  That may be enough anyway.

How well do those poles hold up to 80 mph wind? Are they cross supported or
just to the bumper?

good luck
k3uhf