[VHFcontesting] An observation / Distance / Level playing field

To: "(Radio) VHF Contesting" <vhfcontesting@contesting.com>
Subject: [VHFcontesting] An observation / Distance / Level playing field
From: "Mike (KA5CVH) Urich" <ka5cvh@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 23 Jun 2008 09:21:53 -0500
When I think of some contest trying to "level the playing field" a
number of visions come to mind.

Most notably, every time "government" (at any level) tries to level
the playing field I know that it is going to cost me more money,
increase the difficulty in compliance and just create a bad taste in
my mouth.  Now some things were good like changing multipliers from
sections to grids.  That greatly made things more "fair" and actually
increased activity because those of us in fly over country actually
stood a better chance of getting more than a couple of multipliers.
Grids was easy to do and easy to verify (for the most part) and no
more complicated than adding more "multipliers"

I can't envision that the causal contester, "yeah I'll get on the air
and make a few q's" is going to bother with trying to figure out a
score that is going to require them to figure out how many miles or
clicks some distance was.  I may be wrong but I really don't perceive
this as good for the contest(s).

IMHO we should be about trying to keep things as simple as possible to
attract more people to contesting, not making compliance more
difficult.

YMMV

--
Mike Urich, KA5CVH