[VHFcontesting] Distance-based Scoring, Generically [was:6meter - distan

To: VHFcontesting@contesting.com
Subject: [VHFcontesting] Distance-based Scoring, Generically [was:6meter - distance scoring]
From: Ev Tupis <w2ev@yahoo.com>
Date: Sat, 21 Jun 2008 08:01:04 -0700 (PDT)
--- On Sat, 6/21/08, k4gun@comcast.net <k4gun@comcast.net> wrote:
> First of all, can somebody explain what we're really
> talking about?  How exactly would a distance based scoring
> system work?

There are several flavors of Distance-based scoring. They all start out like
this...

Exchange Grid4 or Grid6. Calculate the distance (in km) between the two, based
on a commonly agreed-to spherical earth datum.

---Foundation of DX-point Scoring (IARU Region 1 uses this)---
That distance becomes the value of the QSO. Add all QSO values to calculate the
final score.

---Basis for DX-Zone Scoring (Stew Perry uses a variation)---
Create a model by which contacts are scored differently, based on the DX-zone
in which the contact occurs.

Example:
Zone1 = < 500km, QSO=1-point
Zone2 = > 500km but <1000km, QSO=2-points
Zone3 = >1000km but <1500km, QSO=3-points
Zone4 = >1500km but <2000km, QSO=4-points
etc.
Add up all points for final score.

There are subtleties that can tie up this thread for weeks, if anyone wants to.
:)  But this is a good introduction to the foundation of the two major models
of DX-based scoring.

Kind regards,
Ev, W2EV