Re: [VHFcontesting] Single Operators, Ethics, and 6 Meters

To: "\(Radio\) VHF Contesting" <vhfcontesting@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] Single Operators, Ethics, and 6 Meters
From: Ev Tupis <w2ev@yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 19 Jun 2008 18:20:10 -0700 (PDT)
--- On Thu, 6/19/08, Mike (KA5CVH) Urich <ka5cvh@gmail.com> wrote:
> Multi-op stations can certainly use Ping Jockey to get info
> on stations, as long as that station is not self-spotting or
> asking another to spot them.
>
> Mike asks because he doesn't know
>
> How does that differ from HamIM?  Isn't HamIM self
> promoting ... like "here I am come work me"
Mike,
You may be inadvertantly associating HamIM with APRS.

APRS
Assisted: digipeaters repeat what they hear, extending your range beyond what
your station is normally capable of covering

Non-Amateur: your communications will be gated to the Internet

Low power: because of all of the assistance that the digipeater infrastructure
offers

HamIM
Unassisted: no digipeating takes place

All-Amateur: Operates on 147.585 MHz, where there is no APRS infrastructure to
gate to the Internet

High power: to overcome the lack of assistance from digipeaters

Said another way, HamIM's ID's are just like calling CQ on simplex FM, except
it is done on AX.25 rather than by voice. QSO's take place through keyboard
messaging rather than by voice. It is fully compliant and ARRL contest desk
approved because of that.

Ev, W2EV