Re: [VHFcontesting] Water in LMR-900 coax, best practices to keep it

To: "Mike & Becca Krzystyniak" <k9mk@flash.net>, <vhfcontesting@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] Water in LMR-900 coax, best practices to keep it out?
From: Bob Cumming <w2bzy@cfl.rr.com>
Date: Sun, 08 Jun 2008 19:47:21 -0400
Mike

I can't be sure about LMR 900 but I have seen it in Andrews 7/8" and
larger.  The problem usually occurs due to temperature changes from
Day to night .

One Caveat, Make sure the connectors are sealed with RTV or Coax
Seal.  Here in Florida's wild swings of summer temperatures,  I have
seen the Cavity in the "N" connector fill up with water from sucking
in moist air when the connector cools down in a summer
Thunderstorm.  I have good luck with Andrews D Connector
Weatherproofing Kits Andrews Part Number 221213 (it helps to have
friends in the Cel Tower business).  The kits contain Butyl rubber
tape (commercial grade Coax Seal) and Scotch brand Plastic tape.

One layer of the Butyl Rubber Tape to seal the connector and the
plastic (3 layers to complete the job.  Andrews also makes a "Cold
Shrink" product  for sealing splices that I can't vouch for.    I
have never had water intrusion on any cable here in Central Florida's
Greenhouse weather using this method.

Another thing is I leave unsealed, the cable end within the house so
that the air being "sucked into" the cable comes from Air Conditioned
space in the house (hopefully dry air).  I have 4 runs of 7/8 Andrews
and also some of the old 9913 (air core) with no problems.

VRY 73
Bob Cumming
W2BZY
QRV 160M - 9CM + 3CM (5760 next)