[VHFcontesting] Inverters and roving

To: vhfcontesting@contesting.com (VHF contesting list)
Subject: [VHFcontesting] Inverters and roving
From: k4gun@comcast.net
Date: Thu, 22 May 2008 02:50:15 +0000
Well, my new rover system is just about complete.  I posted some pics on QRZ if
you're interested:  http://forums.qrz.com/showthread.php?t=163565

I've run into a problem though.  I decided to spend the money and get a pure
sine wave inverter.  Based on opinions here and elsewhere, I figured this
caused the least amount of noise.  I also mounted it in the steel toolbox and
attached a couple of ferrite beads on the electric cord.  The battery is also
in the tool box.

Sounds like a good plan, right?  Well... not so much.  It turns out that all
pure sine wave inverters are not always as quite as you would think.  On 50
MHz, I have an S4 noise floor and a buzz on the calling frequency.  When
turning the antenna, its an S8 noise.  Its seem fine on 144 and 432, but on 50,
its just a nightmare.  When I turned the inverter off, the noise dropped to S1
or less.  This is an AIMS inverter that I bought off e-bay from a company
called Energy Igloo.

I'm about tapped out for this contest.  I think I'm going to get a DC adapter
for the laptop and just use the truck as a rotator.  Maybe I'll use my
"stimulus" check for another inverter.  Any suggestions on which one to get
would be greatly appreciated.  Any other thoughts or suggestions would be great
as well.