Re: [VHFcontesting] Advice on Pre-Amps

To: Les Rayburn <les@highnoonfilm.com>
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] Advice on Pre-Amps
From: George Fremin III <geoiii@kkn.net>
Date: Tue, 6 May 2008 12:32:01 -0700
On Tue, May 06, 2008 at 01:51:05PM -0500, Les Rayburn wrote:

> I've added mast mounted pre-amps to improve the sensitivity of my VHF/UHF
> rgis. At the moment, I'm using three rigs:
>
> 1.) Icom 746 Pro to cover 6 Meters.
> 2.) Icom IC-910H to cover 2 Meters, 432, and 1296.
> 3.) Yaesu FT-736R to cover 222

What are you using for feedline on the various bands and how long are
the feedline runs.

> I have purchased a combination of new and some used preamps. My
> "criteria" so far was to keep cost low, RF switching for ease of
> installation and use, and mast mounts to keep the noise levels as
> low as possible.

As you already know depending on feedline loss and the quality
of the preamp and the radio you may or may not be helping
things by adding a preamp.

I am not expert on these things but I do know that the cheap
premap in my brick amp for 222 turns up the noise but lowers
the S/N on signals in my system but I have short feedline runs
on most of my stuff - 30 feet of 7/8 or 1/2 hardline on all
the bands.

--
George Fremin III - K5TR
geoiii@kkn.net