[VHFcontesting] Advice on Pre-Amps

To: <vhf@w6yx.stanford.edu>, <vhfcontesting@contesting.com>
Subject: [VHFcontesting] Advice on Pre-Amps
From: "Les Rayburn" <les@highnoonfilm.com>
Date: Tue, 6 May 2008 13:51:05 -0500
Again, pardon the newbie questions.

I've added mast mounted pre-amps to improve the sensitivity of my VHF/UHF rgis.
At the moment, I'm using three rigs:

1.) Icom 746 Pro to cover 6 Meters.
2.) Icom IC-910H to cover 2 Meters, 432, and 1296.
3.) Yaesu FT-736R to cover 222

I have purchased a combination of new and some used preamps. My "criteria" so
far was to keep cost low, RF switching for ease of installation and use, and
mast mounts to keep the noise levels as low as possible.

To date, I've purchased:

1.) Icom AG-25 Pre-amp for 2 meters.
2.) Icom AG-35 Pre-amp for 432 meters
3.) Mirage mast mount GaSFET pre-amps for 6 meters and 222

I'd love to hear opinions about how well these units will perform. The noise
figure specs on all the amps are respectable, but I've already heard from some
that I should consider pre-amps from ARR or DEM instead. I know that moving to
switched pre-amps and/or sequencers is the next logical step too. Though I'm
not entirely comfortable enough to progress to that level yet.

Thanks again for all the advice.

73,

Les Rayburn, N1LF

Les Rayburn, director