[VHFcontesting] Getting ready for June - proposed route

To: vhfcontesting@contesting.com (VHF contesting list)
Subject: [VHFcontesting] Getting ready for June - proposed route
From: k4gun@comcast.net
Date: Sat, 19 Apr 2008 14:28:50 +0000
I know its early, but I'm getting my plans set for the June VHF QSO party.  I
know there are a lot more rovers that will be heading out and I wanted to giver
others a chance to comment on my proposed route before I finalize it.

I will be operating on 50, 144, 222 and 432.  I've got a small tower and mast
that will be mounted in the bed of the truck and operated with a rotator.
Antennas are a moxon on 50 and 8' boom yagis on 144, 222 and 432.  With this
system, I shouldn't need any set-up time at each stop.  Just park, power on and
get to work.  I will also have omnis for 144 and 432 for use while in transit.

2:00-3:00PM start on the Chesapeake Bay Bridge and Tunnel scenic overlook in
FM27ac
3:15-4:00 PM from Island #3 on CBBT at FM17xb
4:15-5:00 PM from Island #1 on CBBT at FM16wx
5:30-6:30 PM from Virginia Beach at FM26at
10:00-11:00 PM from a truck stop on I-64 near Charlottesville VA at FM07vx

Sunday
10:00-11:00 AM at Wintergreen Resort overlook at FM07mw
12:00-1:00 PM at Scenic overlook on Blueridge Parkway (faces West) FM07mw
3:00-5:00 PM at Hogback Overlook on Skyline Drive FM08us
6:30-7:30 PM somewhere outside of Winchester VA (haven't found the exact spot
yet) near FM09uf
8:00-9:00 PM roadside pull-off with a little elevation at FM19aa
10:00-11:00 PM at the highest spot I can find in Prince Willaim county at FM18ew

A couple of things I am still working out are whether or not to bother with the
Blue Ridge Parkway stop.  I haven't driven there yet, but it looks like most of
the scenic overlooks face to the West where there is not a lot of population.
It might be better to spend more time at Wintergreen.

About Wintergreen... I stayed there for a couple of days this winter and found
a great overlook.  I haven't contacted the resort yet to see if they would have
a problem with me setting up there for an hour or so on a summer weekend.  Does
anybody have any experience with this?

Any other comments from the group?  I'm familiar with the CBBT and the
permissions needed.  I've also driven a good part of this route before and I
think I'm being fairly good about travel times.

Thanks and 73,
Steve
K4GUN/R