Re: [VHFcontesting] Contesting ethics for rovers

To: <vhfcontesting@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] Contesting ethics for rovers
From: "Bruce Richardson" <w9fz@w9fz.com>
Date: Tue, 1 Apr 2008 12:36:59 -0500
Hello Steve K4GUN and everyone:

First off, Steve I'm so glad to see of your continued
interest and zeal in roving. It IS fun isn't it?  You asked
good questions 9 months ago and you're asking good questions
now.  I think you (and the ensueing conversation) have
worked your way through the rules to the same interpretation
I come to.

Secondly, having roved near 20 years now, roving is an
activity I REALLY like.  But look at the small universe of
folks similarly inclined and I have to accept that roving
"may" not end up being "awesome" to your partner.  "Fun",
yes, but not "awesome".  My point is, while you are used to
dedicating yourself to the entire weekend for the event, and
while you have no trouble staying focussed on the activity
at hand, your partner may not.  But that's where the other
payoff's I've gotten from roving may kick-in for her (if you
plan for them as an emergency backup).  Here are some of my
favorite side activities that go along with my roving:
finding café's in small towns and searching for the best
pancakes/french toast; bird watching; photography; and just
sitting.  The road sides of America (particularly quiet
rural ones) have good birding and wildflowers.  Some might
think my suggestions about equal to watching paint dry.
Well, then I can't help :-) .  But if she drifts down the
road 300 yards to get out of earshot of your cq'ing, she
might really enjoy the countryside :-).  Take along a camera
and binoculars :-) .

On the rules side, I wish the 100 QSO limit had been "total"
not "per other rover".  I predict we will see pairs of
rovers go out and work trivial orchestrated contacts. Maybe
not a full gridcircle, but "just to work their own grid". It
will be "legal" by the rules.  "100" total would have been
better. Anyways. That's just an aside.

I have some repairs to make before my June rove :-)

73
Bruce Richardson W9FZ/R