Re: [VHFcontesting] Receiver hitch mast

To: "Tom Sneden, K6VCR" <k6vcr@cox.net>
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] Receiver hitch mast
From: "Anthony Rick" <asrick@gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 8 Mar 2008 22:06:47 -0600
Whoops, I hit the wrong button an sent my message prematurely.  I'll try
again:

Hey Tom,

I have rebuilt a few military mast systems that are similar to what you want
to build.  The two that I am familiar with are the AB-903/G and AB-1386/U
systems:

http://www.willburt.com/milQeamMast.asp

The AB-1386/U is 33 ft.  It is made of five aluminum sections of diameters
4, 3.5, 3, 2.5 and 2 inches.  Each section is about 7 ft 6 in long, so each
overlaps by about 1-1/2ft.  The aluminum is T6-6061 grade structural with
0.065" wall thickness.  I have had no problem with about 30lbs and 5 s

After totally rebuilding a few of these I think a mast of equal function
could be built pretty easily.  You would need a flange with a pulley at the
top of the first four sections.  At the base of the top four sections you
will need a shim made of self lubricating plastic to allow each section to
slide past each other in a snug but smooth way PVC?.  Then a cable and winch
will allow you to erect it.

In getting a hold of the aluminum here is what I found:  Most manufactures
will supply 12ft large diameter aluminum sections at a good price.  For this
reason it may be worth while to consider a design using 6 ft sections if you
want to make more than one mast.  Cut-to-length sections (such as 7'6") will
be more expensive.  With some work I was able to find a replacement 7'6" x
4" x 0.065" section for about $130 shipped.  For all five sections I think
that it would have been about $300 - $400.

This should give you some ideas.

If you would like some pics I can email them.

All the best,

Anthony
NR9R