[VHFcontesting] Receiver hitch mast

To: <VHFcontesting@contesting.com>
Subject: [VHFcontesting] Receiver hitch mast
From: "Tom Sneden, K6VCR" <k6vcr@cox.net>
Date: Fri, 7 Mar 2008 18:27:29 -0800

OK, I see that there might be some interest in receiver hitch type masts.
I have been working out a design for a tubular tower that will attach to a
receiver hitch.
My goals are that it nest at about 10ft, extend to at least 35ft, be
rotatable from the bottom, tilt over (in the 10 ft collapsed position) with
a winch, extend using a winch and not weigh over 350 pounds.
Basically a miniature version of an MA-40 with the rotating fixture.
It is do-able and I think the price point will be in the neighborhood of
$600.00 for parts.
I lack formal engineering education and would appreciate knowledgeable
opinions regarding wall thickness and type of aluminum tubing to use for the
mast.
This thread has really opened my eyes to height issues and would like to
discuss the optimal vs. practical height issue as well.
Tubing is available in varying wall thicknesses and they need at least 3/16"
clearance between ID of outer tube vs. OD of inner tube.

Before I ramble any further, would anyone else be interested in this thread?

Tom
K6VCR