Re: [VHFcontesting] Anyone for an SSD scatter contact?

To: "Tim Coad" <timcoad@gmail.com>, <VHFcontesting@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] Anyone for an SSD scatter contact?
From: "David Olean" <k1whs@metrocast.net>
Date: Tue, 19 Feb 2008 20:29:58 -0000
Hi Tim,
If it starts out West of Hawaii, I doubt that things will be OK anywhere
near the East Coast, but I would definitely pay attention if I lived out
West. The meteor reflection off the debris would be incredible. You could
see the same effect on a soviet rocket booster that went to pieces over
Denver last year. There were hundreds of ionized trails all slowly
traversing the sky for several minutes. The trick is to have the debris on
your horizon. I suspect that they want the debris to hit the ocean between
Hawaii and the mainland possibly. That would make any West Coast DX a
problem as well.  The ionized trails might be too far off shore to see. It
would be nice to have some advance warning or planning available.  We can
all dream though!

Dave K1WHS