Re: [VHFcontesting] Negative comments

To: VHFcontesting@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] Negative comments
From: Zack Widup <w9sz@prairienet.org>
Date: Sun, 27 Jan 2008 13:03:33 -0600 (CST)
On Sun, 27 Jan 2008, Ray J wrote:

> How is seeing the rovers location on a map, by any means. Helping you to
> solicit a contact in any way shape or form????
> you are digging pretty deep .. so I can too, I guess.
>
> Wouldn't looking at printed map that a rover emailed you a  "use of
> non-Amateur Radio means" .. That paper did not come spitting of of your fancy
> YaeIcoTenWood radio.. If you are looking at it during the contest period,
> that is clearly "use of non-Amateur Radio means of communication"

I think the point is not when you look at it, but rather when you receive
it.  If you received it during the contest, it's not OK by the current
rules.  If you received it before the contest, that's different.

I've occasionally made skeds by e-mail before a contest, printed them out
and taken them with me when I'm portable or roving. I don't do that during
the contest period.

> the rule 3.10 should be deleted/altered to allow anything... As long as
> the simplex RF contact is made using stated contest exchanges on the
> band of interest. who the heck cares if i had to call,write,email,text,
> instant message or jump in front of the rover when he is driving by, to
> make it happen, the qso's are still being made on the air...Just because
> there's non-Amateur Radio means of communication used does not guarantee
> a good qso/points..
>
> W9RAY

And where does this end?  Talking on the phone, saying "I don't hear you
yet - swing your beam a bit more ... I'm starting to hear you, try a bit
more ... keep calling ..."

I'd rather keep the current rules.

73, Zack W9SZ