[VHFcontesting] VHF SS -- K1JT

To: vhfcontesting@contesting.com
Subject: [VHFcontesting] VHF SS -- K1JT
From: Joe Taylor <joe@Princeton.EDU>
Date: Tue, 22 Jan 2008 10:52:00 -0500
ARRL January VHF Sweepstakes

Call: K1JT
Class: Single Op HP
QTH: SNJ,  FN20qi

  Band  QSOs  Mults
-------------------
     6:  173    34
     2:  156    61
   222:   50    15
   432:   74    15
   903:   18     7
   1.2:   23     8
   2.3:   14     7
-------------------
Total:  508   147

Claimed Score:  125,391

Club: Mt Airy VHF Radio Club  (PackRats)

An unusual operating style led to an all-time high (for me)
of 61 multipliers on 2m, more than half of which came from
random EME QSOs using JT65.  My log includes DXCC prefixes
W, VE, RU, UA9, S5, OH, DL, HA, G, OZ, YU, F, I, EA, OK,
PJ4, and SV.  RoverLog kept nattering at me that the
callsigns being worked appeared to be invalid, hihi.

On the other hand, I rather neglected 222 and 432, and
missed a bunch of generally easy grids on the low four
bands.  Or was it that activity was that much lower than usual?

Tropo propagation was poor; E-skip openings on 6m both
afternoons were brief and very spotty ... but very nice to have.

Several failures of recently built station hardware were
(more or less) coped with ... thanks to emergency repairs
featuring wire cutters and clip leads.  (Not a recommended
procedure unless absolutely necessary!)

Nostalgia Department: My first VHF SS was, I believe, 52
years ago in 1956.  I was then K2ITP, just starting high
school.  Two years later, in a multi-op effort together with
my brother Hal, K2ITQ, we set an all-time scoring record
that I think lasted for ten years or so.  Of course, it
helped that we were then near the peak of sunspot cycle 19
-- and 6 m was open coast-to-coast for many hours on both
Saturday and Sunday.  Won't it be nice if cycle 24 comes
anywhere close to cycle 19?

Lots of fun again this year, as always.  There are many ways
to enjoy this great contest!

     -- 73, Joe, K1JT