Re: [VHFcontesting] Another rookie question

To: aa4zz@aol.com
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] Another rookie question
From: Zack Widup <w9sz@prairienet.org>
Date: Thu, 27 Dec 2007 11:03:54 -0600 (CST)
I have an Olympus VN-960PC DVR.  We have a little local 2m FM contest here
a couple times a year.  I was a Rover in the contest last time and I
didn't want to try to log while I was driving, and since there were no
rules specifically prohibiting logging by recording the QSO's and
transcribing them later, that's what I did.  It was also safer while I was
driving (by myself).

I started the recording exactly on the hour.  The contest was exactly an
hour long. I could get times by playing the recording back with Audacity
(a great free program!) and noting the time into the recording. Since I
knew what the starting time was, I just added the minutes to the start
time.

The VN-960PC gives almost 6 hours of recording time in hi-quality mode.
There are newer models now sold by Radio Shack, such as the VN-4100PC
which gives you over 11 hours in XHQ mode. The VN-4100 sells for what I
paid for the VN-960 a couple years ago.

73, Zack W9SZ