[VHFcontesting] Rookie questions!

Subject: [VHFcontesting] Rookie questions!
From: "Joe Serocki" <joeserocki@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 24 Dec 2007 10:30:14 -0600
I want to thank all you guys for this useful information! I have been
sitting in the wings, reading the mail, and will really use this
information!

We will be Roving to Wisconsin and Illinois in January picking up 6 grid
squares. The information you guys have all provided is fantastic!

I have been driving the Rover around town
(http://www.welcars.org/Projects/War%20Wagon/warwagon.htm) for literally
months now as a commuting vehicle (50 miles round trip), and although it has
attracted some attention from the local authorities, I have not been
harassed much. Here are some secrets in no particular order.
-       The antenna system is stable as a rock. No sense giving them an
excuse to pull me over for being stupid and unsafe.
-       WeLCARS is affiliated with the Boy Scouts of America. We provide
training opportunities for interested young men to get their Electricity,
Electronic and Radio merit badges. So I have a couple of BSA stickers on the
windows and have our BSA registration cards on us at all times.
-       A small SKYWARN or RACES sticker does not hurt either.
-       I have a sign on the back of the van stating this is the Western
Lake County Amateur Radio Society Official Contest and Training Vehicle

In summary, advertising that this is a good thing, provides a public
service, etc. In fact it has opened up opportunities to recruit some of the
local officers into the hobby! (http://www.eham.net/articles/18001).

I am NOT saying that they don't think that this monstrosity of a van that
has a rack on the back that holds 6 bags of rock salt for emergency
extraction, and a converted boat trailer behind that with a 5k generator,
masts and antennas is insane, which it is, but they are more interested in
what's happening than they are interested in writing a ticket.

And, hating to state the obvious, make sure that the vehicle is legal and
safe! I had to talk myself out of a "no tail lights" incident because the
fuse blew for some odd reason, and of course I had no idea because I was
careless and started driving without doing a 'preflight'. That officer was
very cordial, very helpful and is now enrolled in a local class on ham
radio!

Thanks

Joe, N9IFG
President, WeLCARS (http://welcars.org)