Re: [VHFcontesting] APRS in ARRL Contests

To: <vhfcontesting@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] APRS in ARRL Contests
From: "Mike McCarty" <kb8yhv@amsat.org>
Date: Tue, 18 Dec 2007 21:57:08 -0600
> "The rovers are still running APRS and cannot use HamIM to it's full extent.
>  They are only allowed callsign and position, nor can they use digipeaters or
> internet gatways
> because the premise of no digipeats and no gateways is what got HamIM past
> the ARRL contest
> desk to begin with..."
>
> *** There's the rub.  The rules say that APRS is now approved.  APRS uses
> digipeaters and Internet.  Use digipeaters, if you are a
> Rover or the Internet as a Multi-op (the only two classes that are approved
> for APRS in ARRL contests)!  However...you are right
> about not having HamIM functionality (ability to keyboard message) because
> the rules are specific to say that Rovers may TX only
> their call sign and position and Multi-ops may only RX (including Internet).
> No other operator use of APRS is approved.

Ev, thanks for the reply.  That about sums it up.  People seemed to be talking
of APRS and HamIM
as two seperate things.  "HamIM is already allowed and now APRS is allowed".  I
guess the ARRL wanted to
address it in the rules, but only in the context of  their existing  rules for
spotting networks and assisted categories.
They are not going to address the use of specific frequencies or strategies,
but have to pen the rule language as
broad as possible, to include the use of APRS as a whole.

-Mac, KB8YHV