Re: [VHFcontesting] 2007 September VHF Contest Scoring Calculation

To: specrisk@aol.com
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] 2007 September VHF Contest Scoring Calculation
From: David Pruett <k8cc@comcast.net>
Date: Sat, 01 Dec 2007 18:27:01 -0500
specrisk@aol.com wrote:
> To the list:
>
> Did anyone notice the inconsistency in how the scores database? and line
> scores list QSO's for some entrants and? QSO Points( QSO's X higher band
> credit) for others. The column lists "QSO's" so it appears that some stations
> had many more QSOs than they actually did. QSO's and QSO points are the same
> if a station only works 6 and 2 meters but are totally different with higher
> bands due to the? multiplier for higher bands. The database needs an
> additional column or there has to be some way to show QSO's for everyone. You
> can observe what I am talking about by multiplying the numbers in the column
> listed as QSO's times the multipliers (grids). In some cases it works out to
> the final score and in other cases it works out lower. I am not suggesting
> there is a problem in actual scores or standing but rather the way it is
> exhibited.? If I am incorrect in my observation please let me know.
>
> George Vaccaro, W1JHR

George,

If I understand your observation correctly, I wonder if what you're
seeing are the effects of scoring penalties resulting from log checking?

Let me give an example.  Let's say I make 100 QSOs, all of which are on
6M and 2M (i.e, one point per QSO).  Let's say that I log you for one of
those QSOs, but for some reason I'm not in your log.  (For whatever
reason - perhaps I worked somebody else thinking it was you, QRM
clobbered my report which I thought you got OK so you didn't log it,
etc.).  When they check my log, and see that I'm not in your log (what
they call a 'NIL' or "not-in-log"), I lose my W1JHR QSO and according to
the ARRL rules, I lose the equivalent of another QSO as a penalty.  My
QSO count will show up in the line score as 99 (presuming for the moment
that I make no other mistakes) but if you work my line score backwards
to determine my QSO points (QSO points = Score / Grids) I'll only have
98 due to the penalty.

I am not the logchecker for the VHF contests (I think that's Ken, K1EA)
but I am the logchecker for the ARRL 160 and 10 meter contests and
that's the way the line scores are produced.

73,

Dave/K8CC