Re: [VHFcontesting] Brain pickin time

To: vhfcontesting@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] Brain pickin time
From: Ev Tupis <w2ev@yahoo.com>
Date: Sun, 4 Nov 2007 14:48:34 -0800 (PST)
I'll provide a more generic response...with the intent of providing a high
performance multi-op station for VHF.  You can plug-in your own specifics to
fit your circumstances.

Hands down, the absolute best performance for me comes from using:

*** an HF transceiver with:

1. Low synthesizer Phase Noise
2. Ability to operate (transcive) on 1-MHz spaced frequencies (26, 27, 28, 29
MHz)
3. Excellent Blocking Dynamic Range characteristics
4. Ability to turn off HV (since 100 watts is not needed)
(note: for me, this equates to using the Kenwood TS-830s)

*** transverters that are...
1. recrystaled, allowing each to transvert correctly given an IF frequency above
3. High dynamic range RX systems
(Note: for me, this equates to the SSB Electronics series)

*** interconnection cables that are made of heliax (really!)
*** use of sharp narrow band-pass filters on *every* band

YMMV.

Ev, W2EV