Re: [VHFcontesting] Brain pickin time

To: "Mike (KA5CVH) Urich" <ka5cvh@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] Brain pickin time
From: Zack Widup <w9sz@prairienet.org>
Date: Sat, 3 Nov 2007 15:32:03 -0500 (CDT)
Hi Mike,

I am guessing this is going to be a multi-op station?  Otherwise, why need
four separate IF rigs?

I've been using one IF radio in my QRP portable operations for years.
I've been using an HTX-100 modified to bypass/remove the final amp as a 28
MHz IF for 50, 144, 222 and 432 MHz.  I built a switching box to switch
transverters (and bands). I like the HTX-100 because it's small and
lightweight, you can get it cheaply now, I find I don't need the bells
and whistles, it works fine on SSB and CW, and it draws little power so
it doesn't run down the batteries. I load the memories with frequencies
I'm likely to be using for the different bands before the contest so I can
quickly switch bands.

One caveat about the HTX-100, though, is that it has become a favorite
radio of freebanders.  If you eye one on eBay, try to find out if the
seller is a licensed ham and whether he modified it.  If he's a freebander
he's probably hacked it up somewhat inside or detuned all the internal
adjustments.

Otherwise, you could go FT-817's if you want something small, or for just
about the ultimate performance in my opinion but a much larger rig, you
could go with TS-850's.  These make outstanding IF radios.

I hope this helps.

73, Zack W9SZ