[VHFcontesting] Dc Power conversion for rovers

To: vhfcontesting@contesting.com
Subject: [VHFcontesting] Dc Power conversion for rovers
From: "frank bechdoldt" <k3uhf@hotmail.com>
Date: Thu, 30 Aug 2007 13:40:44 -0700

I would forgo the 450 dollar voltage up converter. I use 3-4 marine grade batteries and I plug them in to the trailer jack on my pick up. Believe me you want to double enclose your batteries, go to gell cells or use a pick up bed for your batteries. I had one spring a leak and eat a hole in the car seat.

I run TE amps and I get 350 watts out of the amp at 12 volts. I get 400-450 with the alternator on. However that?s all of about 1 DB in gain. I have TE amps on all the 432 and down bands except 222 where I have a Mirage amp. I made a mini rack and connected all the amps together with number 4 jumper cable wire. I am about to buy a new jumper cable that comes with a plug in the middle fotr this set up and leave a plug to the batteries and one to stacked Diamond Power supplies at home.

If I felt the urge to get my voltage up I would buy a generator that is known not to be to noisey to the ears or RF world and power the diamond power supplies. The generator would have other uses for camping or portable opps as opposed to spending $450 for a voltage boost that might give you one more DB. You would be better buying more antenna with that $450.

Top 10 Things to improve first in a rough order.
1.      Location and population density/ activity.
2.      Elevation.
3.      Antenna
4.      Power/ Amplification
5.      Radio
6.      Accessories
7.      Coffee
8.      Bathrooms (moves to number one when it hits ya)
9.      food
10.     pepper spray

On 222 and 432 I?m backing off of antenna for a wider path as to hear and work more people instead of 2 22 ele beams on 432 I now am going to 2 elk log periodics for smaller size wider path and about 10 db gain between them. Also less wind/tree resistance.

You still need flame throwers on 900 mhz up, but you are not likely to get random contacts there.

My 2 cents
K3UHF/r