Re: [VHFcontesting] DC Power Distribution

To: vhfcontesting@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] DC Power Distribution
From: "Matt Butcher" <yomatt@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 29 Aug 2007 09:49:35 -0400
My rover is also a "convertible" and I use 4 gauge from my alternator /
battery through a continuous duty relay so it is only on (charging my
operating batteries) while the vehicle is running. I just grab ground off
the vehicle frame.

To power my equipment I use 2 golf cart batteries (Trojan T-105's). I also
use a rig-runner but my high power equipment is connected via a bus-bar and
short 8 gauge to the battery. Pretty much everything is disconnected with
Power Poles, the big ones for the battery connections. I'm thinking I may
need to add a second pair of batteries as these are a bit light for the
whole contest.

The thing that is a Must for this installation is Jacob Electronics
Accuvolts. <http://www.cbsperformance.com/jacobs.shtml#accuvolt> They take
Battery power (9 - 12V) and convert it to 14. They aren't as clean as you
would like them and I have been meaning to add filtering... You can key them
on for transmit which works fine though and above 6m they are not too much
of a problem.

I have the battery connections at both ends fused at 40A and have not blown
those... I must not be trying hard enough!

73's
Matt / kc3wd