Re: [VHFcontesting] CQ WW VHF 6 m condx

To: <vhfcontesting@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] CQ WW VHF 6 m condx
From: "Ellen Rugowski" <ellenjoanne2003@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Sun, 22 Jul 2007 20:49:09 -0500
Oh well Eric,

I must have been in a bit of a semi-dead zone myself.  Condx. were spotty
here on the very northeasternmost corner of EN-52.   It was better than the
June contest was on 6m, but I didn't feel like staying glued to the radio,
so I'd listen every 10-15 minutes or so, and then tune for 5 minutes or so.
I lost 6m capability with the sale of my FT-897D, 2 1/2 weeks ago, to help
pay for car repairs. But I was able to get my hands on a FT-620B for peanuts
at a local swapfest 2 weeks ago. It only has 10W output but the receiver is
pretty good.

I lost time on Saturday, due to the need to finish rewiring the mic that was
given to me with my FT-620B.  I also had to run errands (I had to deliver
two older kittens to their new home on Saturday afternoon for a local animla
shleter I volouteer at).  No long openings.  They were very short (maybe
5-10 minutes at the most), and very specific geographically (in other words
I heard the same 2 stations or so for the entire opening). Some signals were
strong, most weren't.  I only made 8 QSOs. Part of it was antenna related,
but it seemed like Joe, N9UX (who some of you may have worked during his
rover ops on other contests) who lives in the neighborhood, was working them
at a higher rate than me, but it was not on the level of an order of
magnitude higher than me, considering that he uses a TS-2000, and a 6m yagi.
I did have a highlight late this morning - I worked the west coast: K7CW
(CN82 [Pacific Coast of Oregon] on CW [once I learned how to turn down the
sidetone level, which was ridiculously loud]); and W7CE (CN87 [Pacific Coast
of Washington] on SSB).  I also worked W5WVO (DM65 , in New Mexico) last
night.  It just seemed really spotty for me. Most of the time, I would hear
nothing, and occasionally a very weak one down in the noise.  I submitted my
log in the QRP class, just to say that I submitted a log.

73,
Ellen - AF9J