[VHFcontesting] Inverters, rotators and antennas-ROVERS

To: <vhfcontesting@contesting.com>
Subject: [VHFcontesting] Inverters, rotators and antennas-ROVERS
From: "Bill Burgess" <ve3cru@rac.ca>
Date: Thu, 12 Jul 2007 13:34:57 -0400
After getting away from a club's heavy 1400 watt generator, I tried using a
Vector 600 watt inverter for the Ham IV on the roof of the Rovermobile.
Continually blew the control box fuse, till I overfused it then okay
thereafter.  Square wave inverter problem.  Now am installing a Yaesu G1000-DX
rotator and not taking any chances blowing it up.  Was getting a pure sine wave
inverter, costly, now have a generator for half the price and 1 kw normal load.
 Still have some heavy marine batteries to run the rigs too.  For 3 years,
never had a working indicator on the control box.  Looking forward to the
accuracy forthcoming.

Antennas:  Aside from the 4 elmt beam on 6, I use full size 18' K1FO's.  Here
in VE3 I have over 95% of my qso's in an arc E - S - W which reduces the wear
on the rotator and on the cables, which are Wireman 106, LMR 400 flex and
RG213.  Never had a connector fail yet.  Need the gain for the longer reach.
Large loopers above 432 as well.  It must be great for those who have grids
workable in a full 360 degrees.

Looking forward to reaching more of you in the future.

73,

Bill   VE3CRU