Re: [VHFcontesting] rover tech - coax

To: vhfcontesting@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] rover tech - coax
From: "Eric Smith" <kb7dqh@donobi.net>
Date: Wed, 11 Jul 2007 18:55:35 -0700
 My rover vehicle involves rotating antennas, all feeders
are LMR 400, the standard non-stranded copper-plated
aluminum center conductor stuff.  I do have large rotator
loops to compensate, some of these runs have been used with
three iterations of the rover operations here, and only one
connector failure, believe it or not, on the radio end.

Properly securing the cable to antenna booms, masts, etc,
is the key here...

Longest run is probably 20 feet or so.

Self-fusing rubber tape or butyl-rubber tape used to seal
all weather-exposed connectors and connections,
including T match baluns! (Rains lots up here in WA.
State:-)

Works fine, lasts long time, varies from ship to ship,
guaranteed to be (almost) sailor-proof!

Eric
KB7DQH