Re: [VHFcontesting] UHF Contest Microwave Liaison Frequency

To: vhfcontesting@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] UHF Contest Microwave Liaison Frequency
From: jcplatt1@mmm.com
Date: Fri, 6 Jul 2007 13:03:25 -0500
Hello George.   Great question.   I suspect that the answer may vary
depending on where you live.   To the best of my knowledge, here in the
Upper Midwest, the answer is no, there is not a special uW liaison
frequency on 222 or 432 like 144.265 may be in your area.   As a rover
myself, for the UHF contest, I do not take 2m along, only 222 and up.
During the UHF contest, I do not believe that there is any activity on 2m
looking to move people up .... I think all the contesting truly goes on on
222 and up (again, here in the Upper Midwest anyway).   Rovers will often
use their local club reflectors to indicate what freq they may be planning
to hang out on, for example 222.130 and 432.130 - that does help the fixed
stations find the rovers.   In addition 222.100 and 432.100 do get a work
out, but people usually then slide up or down off the calling freq if they
wish to then use those lower bands for liaison while they try the uW's.
That's how it works around here anyways.   My rover experience with 222 is
that it has at least as good, usually better, coverage than 2m anyway.
Having a good signal on 222 (or 432) is one of the keys to having success
on the uW ... stations can find you on the low bands, then you can QSY up.

73, Jon
W0ZQ/R