Re: [VHFcontesting] VHF/UHF cable installation?

To: vhfcontesting@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] VHF/UHF cable installation?
From: steve d <kc8qvo@yahoo.com>
Date: Sat, 5 May 2007 16:04:53 -0700 (PDT)
Thanks for all the replies I got on the cable installation.

I think what I am going to do is try to track down some thicker cable for the
run through the cabin. There are a few ways I can route it, now that I think
about it. I think the best thing to do is going to be to encase the cables in a
PVC conduit with a cap on both ends, then the connectors mounted to a bulkhead
inside the pipe. That way I can block off the pipe when Im not there (all but a
week or so a year). Since the antennas/rigs are not permanently installed Im
not going to worry about the grounding. When Im not there then it will be
nearly impossible for anything to happen with nothing connected to the cables.

If you are interested in seeing the station from a few years ago, go here:

http://s118.photobucket.com/albums/o117/KC8QVO/EN39/?action=view&current=Aug1202.jpg

  I dont have any pictures of the antennas, though. I am running a Yaesu
G-800SA rotator, 5 elements on 50, 13 on 144, and 21 on 432. The rotator is
mounted to a home-made mast bracket. The main support for the antennas is a few
sections of military tent poles, about 1.8" diameter and guyed.

  The method for raising the antennas is changing this year. I am mounting the
rotor bracket to a "tram". This way, I can install the antennas on the upper
mast on the ground and then use pulleys to slide the whole thing up the erected
lower mast. This way there is no tilting (which is very hard and dangerous to
do).

  Ill update the group on when Ill be up there this year (probably the first
week of july). I dont think Ill get to the cable installation this trip, unless
I can track down some more cable in the next month or so. Ill have a run or two
of heliax with me, in addition to my usual RG8 - wireman CQ106.

  Steve, KC8QVO