Re: [VHFcontesting] VHF/UHF cable installation?

To: "'steve d'" <kc8qvo@yahoo.com>, <vhfcontesting@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] VHF/UHF cable installation?
From: "Stu Benner" <w3stu@myactv.net>
Date: Fri, 4 May 2007 18:16:32 -0400
Steve,

First we must know on what frequencies you'll be operating. Based on your
qrz.com description of your station equipment, I'll assume that you're
interested in 50 MHz through 432 MHz.

Your best choice for connectors will certainly be type N. They are
controlled impedance, low loss, handle the power levels of amateur stations,
readily available, economical, and (in my opinion) easiest to install. Just
because the connector has a diameter smaller than the cable, you are not
"compressing the energy." The characteristic impedance of the cable and
connector are both 50 ohms (i.e., there is no impedance mismatch between the
two that would result in loss of forward power). Every element that you
place in a transmission path (e.g., a connector or cable) has an associated
loss which is most conveniently measured in decibels (dB). If you're going
to be doing weak signal work and are not familiar with working with dB, it's
time to do some web searches and some studying. When designing a system,
I'll usually assume a loss of about 0.05 dB for a mated pair N connectors
for 50 MHz through 144 MHz and about 0.1 dB per mated pair at 222 MHz and
432 MHz. This assumes that the connectors are properly installed.

You're lucky to have available some 1/2" Heliax. You'll typically find a lot
of 1/2" and 7/8" in a typical weak signal station. The short answer about
1-5/8" Heliax is: costly, difficult to handle, not needed for the bands in
question.

As for the transmission line, here are some numbers you can use to estimate
your losses. These are represent the loss for a cable that is 150 ft. long.
You can scale proportionally for longer or shorter lengths:
Frequency (MHz)  LDF4-50A (1/2" Heliax)   LMR-400
  50.1                           0.73 dB                                1.35
dB
144.2                           1.24 dB                                2.24
dB
222.1                           1.57 dB                                2.71
dB
432.1                           2.24 dB                                3.96
dB
Take all of the pieces of your proposed system (from the radio to the
antenna feedpoint) and add up the total losses (a spreadsheet works nicely
as a "what if" tool) and you'll soon get a feel for what's acceptable and
what is not. For my systems, I try to design for a total path loss of less
than 1 dB on each band. That's quite conservative even for weak signal work;
2 dB or so is a reasonable goal. There are ways to "work around" using very
low loss cable, but I won't try to go into that in a quick e-mail. Just go
to the ARRL Technical Information page
(http://www.arrl.org/tis/tismenu.html), RF Cafe http://www.rfcafe.com, or
search the web to learn about receive preamplifiers, noise figure, coaxial
cables, connectors and the like.

Regards,
Stu Benner
W3STU