Re: [VHFcontesting] APRS Comment - The Flaw re: Rovers

To: vhfcontesting@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] APRS Comment - The Flaw re: Rovers
From: Duane - N9DG <n9dg@yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 1 Mar 2007 18:26:19 -0800 (PST)
APRS being run by rovers does you little good when they are
out of "FM with an omni" antenna range. In my case for the
January VHF SS that would have been 90% of the rover Q's that
I did make. So if I had depended on APRS for me to find the
rovers I would have only worked a couple rover Q's. This is
huge step backwards for what VHF contesting should be
striving for.

And until the rover rules are modified to truly encourage
rovers to activate the distant and/or rarer grids we will see
a continuation of rovers clustering near the higher density
population centers. And when they do that APRS used like this
by rovers will indeed work, but *only* for those in those
high population areas but not for those who are 100+ miles
away. This too is backwards.

Duane
N9DG